Fachbereich Veterinärmedizin



    Etablierung einer Methode zur Bestimmung von Skelettanomalien der Japanischen Wachtel (Coturnix coturnix japonica) (2002)

    Stoll, Sabine
    Berlin, 2002 — 62 Seiten
    Institut für Tierschutz und Tierverhalten

    Königsweg 67
    Gebäude 21, 1. OG
    14163 Berlin
    +49 30 838 62901

    Abstract / Zusammenfassung

    Recently, biological engineering and teratological testing for avian species has progressed. This research and tests require a list of normal skeletal development as the normal control to plan the experiment and analyse the results, because the skeleton seems to be a valuable indicator for normal morphogenetic differentiation under artificial conditions or under the teratogenie effects of ew drugs.Thus, the purpose of the present dissertation was to establish a standardized method for the staining of the japanese quail skeleton. With the combined potash-alizarin red staining method we were able to identify all normal and pathological skeletal findings.We have stained the skeletons of 271 hatchlings, that derive from control groups of different experimental studies of avian reproductive toxicity. Besides the testing of sensivity of the new staining method we have studied the skeletons of 136 hatched chicks receiving varying concentrations of the fungizide substance vinclozolin during embryonic development.36% of the control animals showed skeletal anomalies in the pelvic girdle and hindlimb. Nearly 70% were malpositions of the hindlimb, like hyperflexion of the digits, malposition of the phalanges distales or splay foot. The remaining 30% could be identified as irregular ossification of the pelvic girdle.The same skeletal anomalies as mentioned above occurred in the quails receiving different vinclozolin concentrations during development. Altogether 26% to 41 % of these investigated skeletals showed anomalies.In summary we have established a sensible method for staining the quail skeleton. We were able to identify skeletal anomalies, that occur with frequencies lower than 0,5%.